Foo dog statues, with their hanging, regularly colorful look, have end up a fave of decorators in the West — however their records spans lots of years, tracing back to historical China. If you’ve ever spied those creatures and determined yourself wondering about them, right here are seven matters to understand about foo dogs.
1. Foo dogs are actually lions. In China, where foo dogs originated, they’re known as shi, meaning “lion,” or shishi, that means “stone lion.” They do share a resemblance with the Chow Chow and Shih Tzu, which led those figures to be known as foo puppies (or fu dogs) in English — although you can also see them called Chinese father or mother lions, mother or father puppies or stone temple dogs.
2. Foo puppies started out exterior. Standing sentry in the front of palaces, temples and houses of the elite, foo dogs were first product of stone and may be pretty large! These astonishing beasts, with their wide-open mouths as though in midroar, signified that the location they had been guarding changed into an vital one and definitely gave pause to everyone about to go into. It turned into simplest plenty later that smaller, greater transportable variations were produced.
Three. Foo dogs are meant to be a pair. Foo puppies are symbolic, protective statues, and they’re designed in pairs — one is lady, the other is male. The female represents yin, and symbolically protects the people living within the home, while the male statue, representing yang, protects the shape itself.
Four. Each detail of the foo dog is symbolic. You can inform which foo dog is which by means of inspecting what’s underneath the paws: the male dog holds a ball; the lady dog holds a doggy. The ball may also represent the sector, and the puppy may also represent nature, or a nurturing spirit. If one among your foo puppies has an open mouth, and the alternative has a closed one, this may constitute the in-and-out breath, or the sound “om.”
5. There is a proper way and a incorrect way to put your pair. When you’re dealing with a couple of foo puppies, the maximum auspicious placement according to feng shui is with the woman (with cub) at the left, and the male (with ball) at the proper. And when you have a couple, showing them collectively rather than in exclusive rooms is the manner to head.
6. Foo puppies and Staffordshire puppies share a few symbolism. While Staffordshire dogs originated in nineteenth-century England, like foo dogs they have been used as symbols of safety and standing. Staffordshire puppies were regularly observed flanking the hearth in properly-to-do British houses, and have been strikingly similar in pose and scale — I can’t help however surprise in the event that they were at all inspired by these ancient father or mother statues of China.
7. Using foo puppies as decor is nothing new. Versions of the foo canine were utilized in houses in China as symbolically shielding decor for hundreds of years. Whether flanking the the front door, perched at the mantel, or given pleasure of vicinity on a unique shelf, those precise creatures were guarding and adorning homes for a while. Why no longer add a pair to yours?